Click here for education-related information.
Virtual experience of studying abroad
Lecture video "Research on Superconductivity" by Dr. Mizuguchi Yoshikazu
Students will earn bachelor’s degrees upon graduation once they complete the compulsory subjects and credits required by the schools, departments, and programs.
In general, the admissions test and classes are provided in Japanese. Proficiency in the Japanese language is thus a critical prerequisite for enrollment.
However, department of biological sciences, faculty of science offers English program, in which both the admission examination and classes are provided in English.
Here is the information about admissions for department of biological sciences conducted in English.
(Click here for the information about the other undergraduate admissions)
- Information for prospective applicants（Academic Year 2024）
Application Guidelines (Academic Year 2024)
- Comprehensive Selection (SAT/ACT Method and IB Method)(360KB) Essay form(66KB)
- Special Selection (Entrance Examination for International Students) (Selection based on a Nationwide University Entrance Examination Score) Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science(339KB) Essay form(66KB)
- For those who apply for Entrance Examination for Privately Financed International Students and Entrance Examination for Returnee (including repatriates from Chin a and other countries)(353KB)
Fall Semester Entrance (Academic Year 2024)
- Special Selection (Entrance Examination for Fall Semester Entrance)(845KB)
- Application Form [Word](23KB) [PDF](401KB)
- Essay Form(66KB)
- Certificate of Expected Graduation/Acquisition of Qualification(259KB)
- Attachment Sheet for the Entrance Examination Fee Receipt(181KB)
- Address Label for Envelope(85KB)
- Student Visa Support Request Form(383KB)
Since each graduate school manages its own recruitment and screening, students wishing to enroll as graduate students are encouraged to visit the website of the school they are interested in for application guidelines.
Japanese Language and Culture Program
Please check each graduate school's website.
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
AY2021 Tuition and Enrollment Fees
Reduction and Exemption (Tuition Reduction and Exemption)
In order to mitigate the financial burden on international students, TMU offers a program of reduction of, or exemption from, tuition fees for international students studying at the university at their own expense who either exhibit outstanding scholastic performance, or have endured an earthquake or other natural disaster while studying in Japan.
The types of scholarships available for international students are as follows:
- Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students
- Scholarships by Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Scholarships by Private Foundations
Support for International Students
TMU has a one-on-one tutoring system for first year international students to support their studies and research at the university, and daily life in Japan.
Consultations for International Students
An international student advisor gives advice to international students on a wide range of problems they may encounter in their day-to-day life on and off campus.
Academic Writing Support
TMU graduate school student staff will assist international students to improve their academic writing skills through one-on-one discussion.
Classes for Japanese Language / Culture
TMU provides Japanese language classes from beginner to advanced level (N5-N1＋). We also offer Japanese workshops conducted in English, Chinese, and Korean.
Seminars for International Students
Various lectures including seminars are provided to international students. It is a good opportunity to interact with other international and Japanese students and learn about Japanese history, culture, nature and cross-cultural understanding.
The Student Dormitory is located on Minami-Osawa campus.
Please see the Student Affairs Division website for details（Japanese）.
The International House, located on Minami-Osawa Campus, provides accommodation for researchers and graduate students from overseas.
International Student House
TMU’s International Student House is designed to facilitate mutual and international exchange among residents through shared everyday life by accepting international students and regular students of TMU on the premises.
In the House, Resident Assistants (mainly Japanese students) support international students in daily dorm life.