Research at Tokyo Metropolitan University has produced excellent results in each specialized area. Currently, 13 research centers have been established to disseminate research results both inside and outside the university. In addition, new “Research Cores” have been established for research groups with outstanding achievements that aim to form a new research center.
- Research Center for Space ScienceResearch Center for Space Science brings together space-related research groups at Tokyo Metropolitan University, allowing them to deepen their collaboration across majors and develop their research capabilities. The purpose of this center is to consolidate the power of research in space science and to produce more advanced results.
- Research Center for Genomics and BioinformaticsResearch Center for Genomics and Bioinformatics is a center for organic cooperation among researchers in related fields. The center aims to be an internationally competitive research and education center in the field of genomescience and other research fields that require bioinformatics technology.
- Research Center for Water System EngineeringResearch Center for Water System Engineering promotes research on water supply systems that maintain water supply facilities in a sound condition and enable the sustainability of high-level water supply in the future. The center will draw up a future vision of next-generation water supply systems from a broad perspective based on a joint industry-government-academia framework.
- Research Center for Child and Adolescent PovertyResearch Center for Child and Adolescent Poverty the full range of problems faced by children in poverty, and elucidates the mechanisms of the cycle of disadvantage. It also explores what kind of support is effective and makes evidence-based policy proposals to the national and local governments.
- Research Center for Social Big DataResearch Center for Social Big Data builds an integrated infrastructure for discovering and utilizing new value and knowledge from real-world data, using social data as a medium. In particular, we are focusing on the methodology of integrated hypothesis formation based on heterogeneous data and its application to mobility and space.
- Research Center for ClimatologyThe Center's research focuses on the mechanisms of Asian monsoon variability, extreme weather, and the formation of urban climates. We are also conducting research on forecasting methods to minimize the damage caused by extreme weather events from a wide range of perspectives.
- Research Center for Quantitative FinanceResearch Center for Quantitative Finance was established in accordance with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's "Tokyo International Financial Center Initiative." As a leading academic research center for the realization of the plan, the center aims to develop academic research in financial engineering and promote international exchange.
- Research Center for Hydrogen Energy-based SocietyThis is a research center that focuses on a wide range of topics, from the development of highly efficient energy utilization systems using hydrogen to the development of infrastructure for such systems. This center is unprecedented in the world, and we aim to develop it as a research center that will appeal to the world.
- Research Center for Medicine-Engineering CollaborationResearch Center for Medicine-Engineering Collaboration is developing as a center for collaborative medical and engineering research that covers both basic and clinical medical fields by utilizing the latest science and engineering technologies, such as nano/macro processing, material generation, biomechanics, and mechanobiology, in which the Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering at Tokyo Metropolitan University.
- Research Center for Quantum Material Science and EngineeringResearch Center for Quantum Material Science and Engineering studies superconductivity in molecular conductors, transition metal compounds, rare earth compounds, and actinide compounds, and contributes to the development of the field. The center promotes research on new Bis2-based layered superconductors originating from Tokyo Metropolitan University, and is developing as a center for superconductivity research.
- Research Center for Energy Integrity SystemsResearch Center for Energy Integrity Systems aims to develop new research that has never been done before, aiming for robustness of systems based on a common perspective of electromagnetic environmental technology in systems that integrate electric energy and communication networks.
- Research Center for Hazard Mitigation in Volcanic Islands and Urban AreasResearch Center for Hazard Mitigation in Volcanic Islands and Urban Areas is a research center of a public university that plays a particularly important role in the local community by providing the latest information on newly recognized risks to the community.
- Research Center for Community-centric SystemsThe research center aims to provide data-based solutions to Tokyo's important issues, such as disaster prevention community building and health and welfare, by combining the internationally strong field of informatics and social robotics with the growing field of big data.
- Research Core for Language, Brain and GeneticsResearch Core for Language, Brain and Genetics is the world's first research center that integrates the humanities and life sciences to address the issues of language, brain, and genes. The goal of the research core is to unite the efforts of researchers in the field of brain genetics of language in order to elucidate the relationship between language and human nature, and to produce even better research results.
- Research Core for serBOT in QResearch Core for serBOT in Q is an incubation hub that integrates research on social implementation of service robots using design thinking and research on the technical elements of service robots with the aim of solving urban problems. We aim to establish a product development process based on cross-disciplinary knowledge and technology, and through collaborative creation among different industries and fields.
- Research Core for Interdisciplinary Advanced ComputingThe purpose of this research core is to share, categorize, and organize information on computational technologies and algorithms that provide a common foundation in the fields of natural and social sciences, and to contribute to and develop solutions for financial, environmental, disaster prevention, and security issues in the metropolitan area.